Thursday 29 November 2018

ANDREW McBRIDE interviewed by SCOTT HARRIS


I was recently interviewed by acclaimed western author SCOTT HARRIS for his ‘Friday Forum’ blog, which you can find here: https://scottharriswest.com/forum-featuring-andrew-mcbride/
I talk about westerns and my writing, including my novel‘The Peacemaker.’ Scott very kindly agreed to the interview appearing on my blog also.

Questions in bold.

1.       When—and why—did you first fall in love with Westerns?
As a kid growing up in England in the 60s I fell in love with westerns watching movies and shows on TV. I was particularly taken by ‘The High Chaparral’ TV series, its Arizona location photography and the background of the Apache Wars, which sparked a life-long interest in Native American history and culture.
(I’ve given a fuller appreciation of ‘The High Chaparral’ in an earlier blog:  https://andrewmcbrideauthor.blogspot.com/2017/09/in-praise-of-high-chaparral.html)
In the 70s when I was entering adulthood I had a pal who turned me on to reading westerns, starting with the ‘McAllister’ series by MATT CHISOLM.


2.       Who are your three favorite Western writers?
The first of several impossible questions you’re going to torture me with during this interview. I have to pick three out of the likes of Ralph Cotton, Fred Grove, Louis L’Amour, Glendon Swarthout, Robert MacLeod, A. B. Guthrie Jnr., Lewis B. Patten, Jack Schaefer, Dorothy M. Johnson, Charles Neider etc.? Three who I followed fairly slavishly when I was cutting my teeth on reading westerns were WILL HENRY, GORDON SHIRREFFS and MATT CHISOLM – I devoured Chisolm’s ‘McAllister’ series, and then found out he was British, which inspired me – so let’s go with those three.




3.       Which Western do you wish you’d written?
Hondo’ by LOUIS L’AMOUR. In some ways Hondo is the template western hero and I’m sure my main character in all my westerns, Calvin Taylor, owes something to him. Once, to warm myself up for a writing project, I re-wrote the first chapter of ‘Hondo’ and then had to stop myself from re-writing the whole novel! I think that would be an interesting exercise for another Scott Harris-helmed ’52 weeks’ project – get us lesser mortals to follow in the footsteps of the greats and re-write, in our own words, a chapter from a classic western novel.  


4.       What is the most recent Western you’ve read?
I read a few recently that didn’t happen for me so I’m not going to mention them. I also re-read some old favourites. The most recent ‘new’ western I read and liked was ‘Geronimo must die’ by J.R. Lindermuth.
(You can find ‘Geronimo must die’ here https://www.amazon.com/Geronimo-Must-Die-J-Lindermuth-ebook/dp/B06XFZJG5H/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=


5.       The “Desert Island” question.
          What are your three favorite Western books?
Impossible to say – but as you’ve cornered me I’ll play along. ‘Little Big Man’ by THOMAS BERGER, which deals with tragic events and yet manages to be extremely funny in places, and has subtleties the film lacks;


Blood Brother’ by ELLIOTT ARNOLD, which deals with the Apache chief Cochise and had a huge influence on my writing, particularly ‘The Peacemaker’;


and ‘The Buffalo Soldiers’ by JOHN PREBBLE which tackles numerous western clichés in a startling and original way. I don’t think you’ll find a better written western. And Prebble was also a Brit!

          What are your three favorite Western movies?
Even more unanswerable than the ‘3 books’ question. But as John Wayne and John Ford were, IMHO, the two most important people in western movie history one would have to be a combination of their talents. Which boils down to a wrestling match between ‘Stagecoach’ and ‘Fort Apache’ – I think I’ll go for ‘Fort Apache’.


John Wayne and Henry Fonda in ‘Fort Apache’ (1948)

‘Ride the High Country’ for its elegiac quality and the wonderful performances of Randolph Scott and Joel McCrea.


Randolph Scott and Joel McCrea in ‘Ride the High Country’ (1962)

Hombre’ which is based on a great ELMORE LEONARD novel that almost made it into my ‘best 3 books’ list.


Paul Newman in ‘Hombre’ (1967)

I’ve posted about how ‘Hombre’ – both book and film – influenced my writing: https://andrewmcbrideauthor.blogspot.com/2017/07/giveaway-andrew-mcbride-on-how-book-and.html
6.       Of the books you’ve written, which is your favorite—and why?
‘The Peacemaker.’ I like all my first five published books, but they were of necessity short, which meant they had to be action-centric, dependent on a fast pace. With a longer book like ‘The Peacemaker’ I could slow down a bit, spend more time on character and atmosphere. I got to play around with a real historical person – in this case Cochise. I was able to write a proper love story. I could provide what John Ford called ‘grace notes’ in his movies, quiet, reflective bits where not much happens but they give the story added texture and depth. I was very grateful to my publishers for letting me do that.


7.       What is the most recent Western you’ve written?
The most recent western item I’ve finished is my short story ‘Spectres at the Feast’ which you were kind enough to include in your excellent ‘The Shot Rang Out’ anthology (which I review here https://andrewmcbrideauthor.blogspot.com/2018/05/my-review-of-shot-rang-out-by-scott.html )


8.       Can you tell us anything about your next book?
I’m going through a slightly frustrating time at the moment. I have one project that won’t die! In other words it’s proving difficult to finish it off. I’m stalled on several others, waiting for responses from publishers etc. I did make a start on a new western, which has an elegiac, end-of-the-west quality and I’m keen to get stuck into it, but tidying up other projects keeps preventing me from having a clear run at it.
9.       If you could go back in time, what would be the time and place in the Old West you’d like to have lived in for a year?
I’d only want to pop back for a few hours. I’m an Alamo buff, so I’d love to solve the eternal mystery of what happened there on the morning of March 6th 1836, particularly to Davy Crockett. However, if I did find myself in the middle of the final assault on the Alamo I’d like to be both invisible and invulnerable, to avoid all the bullets, cannon balls and bayonets in the neighbourhood!


10.     Is there a question you’d wish I asked?
          The answer?
No. Answering questions 2 and 5 was traumatic enough!

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Again your support and interest is greatly appreciated, Amy.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed the interview, Oscar. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. I recently read The Peacemaker and thoroughly enjoyed it. I don't generally read westerns, but this book was worth the time. I also enjoy John Lindermuth's books. I grew up watching old westerns so they were a part of my life. Excellent interview! I feel about mysteries the way you feel about westerns.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad I was able to tempt you into the western fold, Marja, and I'm very glad you liked THE PEACEMAKER, and the interview. I also enjoy JOHN LINDERMUTH's books and look forward to reading your mysteries too! Thanks for your kind comments and for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beginning my Brit fix with The Peacemaker. You had me at question 6.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed the interview, Kathy (especially question 6) and I very much hope you enjoy THE PEACEMAKER. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete