Wednesday 27 September 2017

In praise of… THE HIGH CHAPARRAL

As a boy growing up in England in the 1960s, TV Westerns were a staple of my viewing. I only caught the tail end of shows like ‘Maverick’ ‘Cheyenne’ and ‘Rawhide,’ and, oddly enough, can’t ever remember watching the longest-running of all TV Westerns, ‘Gunsmoke’ although I’m sure it was shown in the UK. The ones I remember are ‘Bonanza’ and ‘The Virginian’ and some short-lived series like ‘The Loner.’
I would catch these quite often and usually found them entertaining, but not essential viewing. I always thought the TV Western the ‘poor relation’ of western movies. My taste in westerns has always run to the outdoor and the primitive. The production values of TV westerns, many of them being filmed on familiar Hollywood backlots or sound stages, meant they made little of what is a key western element in my opinion – the landscape, and its physical magnificence.
That all changed in 1967 with the appearance of ‘The High Chaparral’ which became a ‘must watch’ show for me. 

Whilst other shows had occasionally ventured to Old Tucson, Arizona, the HC location shooting was mainly there, and in other sites around Southern Arizona. For us Brits, living on an island which is, alas, sometimes rainy and grey, the Arizona we viewed each week was literally dazzling; I knew people who watched the show who didn’t even like westerns but fell in love with the landscapes. All of which gave the HC not only physical beauty but authenticity – the sweat and dust were real!

The premise of the HC is this: ‘Big’ John Cannon brings his family – wife, son Blue, brother Buck – to the Arizona Territory of the early 1870s, to set up a ranch, the High Chaparral. But the country he enters is lawless and riven with conflict, another key element in the show. Bandits – American and Mexican – abound, and hostile Apaches raid, particularly the Chiricahuas under their chief Cochise.
Almost immediately Cannon’s wife is killed by an Apache arrow. Unwilling to fight both the Apaches and a rival Mexican landowner, Don Sebastian Montoya, Cannon comes to terms with Montoya. But to seal the deal, Don Sebastian insists Cannon marries his daughter, Victoria, much younger than him. Cannon reluctantly agrees, and Victoria returns with him to the ranch, along with her brother Manolito.
Whereas ‘Bonanza’ featured a rather idealised family, the HC clan are often more like a family at war, grafted together over a marriage of convenience! That’s because high quality HC scripts gave us leading characters we could like and admire but were also flawed, edgy and vulnerable, cast to perfection.
Ok, a caveat here. It would be nice to say that the HC maintained its high standards over its 4 seasons. Sadly, season 3 fell foul of the trend to ‘tone down’ violence in westerns at the end of the 60s which meant this season was disappointing, with only a scattering of good - mostly light-hearted - episodes. As for season 4… let’s not go there! Whoever was producing this season seemed determined to change everything that made the original show great, from cutting back on location photography to speeding up (and ruining) the wonderful theme tune. Add to that one main character – Blue – left without explanation and was air-brushed out of the series. This was compounded by tragedy when Frank Silvera died in a household accident.
Most of my favourite episodes are from seasons 1 and 2, when the HC was, in my opinion, as good as the TV Western ever got.     
The dominant figure, JOHN CANNON is portrayed by LEIF ERICKSON.

I believe Erickson deserves credit for being unafraid to present Cannon as a sometimes unsympathetic figure. On the plus side he’s a man with a vision for transforming Arizona from a wilderness and living at peace with the Apaches. But at times he’s a ranting bully, initially cold and awkward towards his new wife, and deliberately harsh in his treatment of his 20-year-old son BLUE (MARK SLADE.)

Blue in turn can be petulant and thoughtless, and takes a long time to accept his new mother-in-law. He does a lot of growing up in the course of the show!
BUCK CANNON (CAMERON MITCHELL) is another multi-faceted character. 

He’s often looked down on by his brother for his drinking and irresponsibility. He’s an under-achiever; whilst his brother is clearly intent on making his mark on the land, Buck describes himself simply as ‘a drifter.’ That doesn’t mean he can’t find steely courage when he has to, e.g. when he has to stand up to his old confederate army captain who comes to seize Don Sebastian’s land (‘The Filibusteros’.)
VICTORIA (LINDA CRISTAL) remains one of the strongest female characters in the TV western, 

particularly in episodes like ‘Ghost of Chaparral’ where she not only stands up to a domineering husband but asserts her independence from her father. She often exemplifies poise and grace but ‘North to Tucson’ shows she can hack it outdoors too!
My favourite HC character is MANOLITO (HENRY DARROW) a fascinating study in contradictions.

Although raised in a wealthy, cultured family he’s a friend of bandits and a pursuer of saloon girls; somewhere in a past we never find too much about, he’s become a dangerous gunfighter; most intriguingly he’s also knowledgeable, and sympathetic to, Apaches and their ways. He’s a ‘Zorro’ like character (and Henry Darrow later played Zorro) in that he can be an irresponsible drunkard, a source of endless disappointment to his father; but he’s also quietly heroic – he braves torture to rescue a girl captive of the Apaches, (‘Ride the Savage Land’) and saves future-president of Mexico Benito Juarez from assassination (‘The Terrorist’) even though it means killing a good friend.
The casting was rounded off by first-rate supporting players, such as FRANK SILVERA as Don Sebastian,

and RODOLFO ACOSTA as the cook Vaquero.  

And then there were the bunkhouse boys, led by Sam (DON COLLIER)

Sam (DON COLLIER) has Apache trouble
and his brother Joe (BOB HOY.)

And occasional characters re-occurred, such as El Lobo, a bandit who could be villainous and also strangely likable (ANTHONY CARUSO)

and Perlita (MARIE GOMEZ) a saloon girl Manolito pursued in a number of comic adventures.

The HC was a ground-breaking show in that 2 of the 5 main characters were Hispanics – played by Hispanics. This was part of the thrust for authenticity that also had Indians played by Indians, most notably Cochise, who was played by NIÑO COCHISE – who may, or may not, have been his 93-year old grandson! And the HC also dealt with the black man’s place in the American West in the episodes Ride the Savage Land, The Buffalo Soldiers and Sea of Enemies, featuring a memorable performance by PAUL WINFIELD.


PAUL WINFIELD and MARK SLADE
There are too many other outstanding HC episodes to list, but they include ‘Mark of the Turtle’ and ‘The Covey’ where the HC crew do battle with El Lobo, and comic episodes like ‘Champion of the Western World’ and ‘For What We Are About to Receive’ – there was plenty of humour in the HC to leaven the grittiness. I have to mention ‘The Peacemaker’ as my Sundown Press novel is partly based on that, (although you won’t find any HC characters in it) but there’s also ‘Gold is Where You Leave it,’ ‘Bad Day for a Thirst,’ etc., many more. A particular favourite is ‘Shadow of the Wind,’ a strange and brilliant episode bringing in historical figures like Johnny Ringo (a tremendous performance by LUKE ASKEW.)



Finally I’d single out two for special mention: ‘Best Man for the Job’ may have the best 5 minute sequence in any TV western, when Apaches attack a cavalry detail riding out of the ranch.




Action in 'Best Man for the Job'
And ‘Ride the Savage Land’ as, arguably, the very best HC episode and the best TV western episode ever made. In an episode that scores highly on every level, Henry Darrow is particularly impressive. 



Ride the Savage Land’ 

Last word on the High Chaparral is not from me, but a comment I found on the internet: ‘It was the greatest western television series ever made. Its gritty realism, high production values, location shooting and superb cast made it the very best the genre had to offer.’

25 comments:

  1. Great post, Andrew. I also liked HC very much. The only disappointment I had was when I visited Old Tucson (before the fire) and discovered the beautiful house I so loved was only a front and that all the inside shots were filmed on a lot in California. But I still loved the show. It was right up there with my other favorite, Gunsmoke. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed the blog, Agnes. Yes, as usual with TV and movies, interiors and exteriors were filmed in different places. The HC cast indoors were in California and when they stepped outside they were in Arizona! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
    2. I visited there in 1972 and felt somewhat the same way when I saw it. Still it was a thrill to be there and the only souvenir I wanted was a large postcard of The High Chaparral.

      Delete
    3. Thanks for stopping by, Philip, and for your two comments. I hope you enjoyed the blog.

      Delete
  2. Outstanding and informative article on one of the truly best TV Westerns ever produced. So many things to love and appreciate about this show and you highlighted them all...thank you! Born and raised in Cochise County AZ, thank you for the kind comments on this beautiful and awe-inspiring region of the state.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked my appreciation, Figlio. You're lucky to have been born and raised in such a beautiful and historically rich part of the world. I (and lots of us in Britain) fell in love with southern Arizona after watching the HC. I was so smitten I wrote 3 novels - THE PEACEMAKER (partly based on the HC episode) DEATH WEARS A STAR and DEATH SONG - set in Cochise County. THE PEACEMAKER features Cochise himself, of course. Thanks for your kind words, and for stopping by.

      Delete
    2. I lived in Douglas from 1972-75 myself. I visited Tombstone many times and Wilcox occasionally.

      Delete
  3. Great article! Great description! Thanks for telling others about our mutual fave! From a fellow ManoManiac!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't go quite so far as to describe myself as a 'Mano Maniac.' But Manolito was my favourite character in an ensemble of interesting, complex and very well-written characters, played superbly by the cast IMHO. Thanks for stopping by and I'm glad you enjoyed my appreciation of this classic show.

      Delete
  4. A great review of a great series. I find with most TV series, the best seasons are usually the first one or two. This series was no different. Part of the problem is the main characters weren't develop beyond what they were at the beginning of the series. The network didn't want a viewer to miss a couple of episodes and then find major changes had taken place with the characters. That problem is no longer present in most TV series today. Joss Whedon changed the rules with his series "Buffy the Vampire Slayer," in which the characters develop over the course of the series, and now most series follow that model. Another problem is budgets were usually cut as a series progressed. I suppose the network figured they had established an audience, so they could cut the quality of the product.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You make some very interesting comments, and I'm glad you enjoyed the blog. From what I've gleaned about the HC in particular, it was a new producer who decided to exorcise most of the violence/action in season 3, which weakened it. Whoever was in charge in season 4 doesn't seem to have watched seasons 1 and 2 as they seemed to have no idea what made the original show great, which is partly why season 4 fell short. BTW I'm a BUFFY fan too!

      Delete
  5. Great blog. You're spot on with the realism. Whereas The Virginan & Laramie were obviously filmed on the Universal backlot & Bonanza had only filmed the ranchhouse on a sound stage, HC was set in an area outside Tucson & that was exactly where it was filmed. As a critic once said "the last of the great TV westerns".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed the blog only1then. To me the landscape of the American West is a tremendous part of the appeal of the western. It's not only startlingly beautiful but almost becomes a character or element in the story, as a hostile force the human participants are tested against. To be fair other western shows sometimes had location photography, and THE MONROES was filmed around Jackson Hole, Wyoming. But I always had a special fondness for Arizona locations. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
    2. Guess I'm rather late to reading your blog, which I enjoyed very much. And your comment two years ago is the first mention I'v seen in a long time on that 1 or 2-yr series, THE MONROES. I loved that series for its outdoor staging and for Ben Johnson's foray into TV Westerns and also my intro (if I recall correctly) to Barbara Hershey. But back to HIGH CHAPARRAL. I've come across the series again in various western cable networks for the first time since the late 60s, and I'm much more appreciative of what that series did, in fairly realistically portraying the issues of the day in southern Arizona...really quite amazing. My first 25 years of life were in Tucson of which in my early twenties watched HC. I was also somewhat drawn to the series b/c it was somewhat based on historical figures of the 1850-1870s, and which I have an ancestral connection. Victoria played a role somewhat based on my greatgreatgreataunt and (adopted great great grandmother), which I appreciate more than I did then. I find myself channel surfing quite a bit these days looking for TV Westerns, and think that during the time period of the 1950-1960s, they are to be thanked for often bringing social commentary whether directly or indirectly into the family living room.
      Bob Brumbaugh/AlexandriaVA

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  6. Hi Bob. Thanks for your very flattering and interesting comments. I'm very envious of you as you grew up in such a beautiful, as well as historically and culturally rich, area as Arizona. I know there's speculation John Cannon was somewhat based on the real life PETE KITCHEN but I didn't know Victoria was based on a real person too. Can I ask who? It would be great to research her a bit. I saw an interview with the HC creator DAVID DORTORT where he said one of his aims with the series was to show Hispanic settlers of the time as strong family people and not just bandits and sidekicks. RE THE MONROES, BARBARA HERSHEY turned up on the HC too, of course, as Blue's love interest in 'The Peacemaker'. Thanks for stopping by and I'm glad you enjoyed the blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far the only name I've found is "Dona Rosa". I read one place that she was sister to his foreman and he married her to have a cook, etc, but she was also a great shot. https://truewestmagazine.com/pete-kitchen/ Ah, here we go"Manuel Ronquillo, an excellent rifle and pistol shot, joined him as well as another outstanding
      frontiersman, Francisco Verdugo. He arrived with his sister, a beautiful girl named Rosa. It wasn’t long
      before Pete took her as his wife and she became the lovely Dona Rosa." https://www.gvrhc.org/Library/PeteKitchensRanch.pdf

      Delete
    2. So we not only have a historical precedent for Victoria, maybe there's one for Manolito too - Francisco Verdugo! Many thanks for this fascinating information.

      Delete
  7. https://www.genealogy.com/forum/surnames/topics/kitchen/1188/ another version.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I found your blog through "The High Chaparral" Facebook page and enjoyed it. My favorite character is also Manolito mostly because of his sense of humor and his loyalty to the family. BUT I don't understand how you can list the major characters and even some guest stars, without mentioning Wind. I found his character interesting due to the conflict of his being half Indian as well as his unusual work ethic. Even though you didn't much like season four, I think he was worth mentioning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps I should revisit Season 4 (which has its admirers) and Wind in particular. One of the issues I had with TV Westerns was heroes tended to be stoical, fairly unemotional and virtuous to the point of almost being boring. The HC leads broke that mold by being flawed, expressive and vulnerable. Wind was a throwback to the more unemotional type of hero, he didn't show much vulnerability and hardly ever smiled - in keeping with Season 4, which didn't have much humour. But that's just my opinion! Presumably his character would have fleshed out if the show had lasted longer. But I'm glad you enjoyed the blog and thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  9. This is a great article. Love the breakdown and the fact that this is from a big fan in England. Growing up with westerns in the 70s I never discovered the best one, HC, until 2017 when I stumbled across Old Tucson on one of my visits to the area. Will be a forever lover of the SW, Tucson and, of cousre, HC!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So you didn't discover the HC until 2017. As they say, better late than never! I'm glad you liked the blog and many thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
    2. Correct. I grew up with Lone Ranger reruns, Bonanza reruns, and Little House on the Prairie as a child. Then a big fan of John Wayne and Clint Eastwood movies as a teen and older. My dad and mom were captured by the wild west growing up in 1920's, 30's, 40's. Later traveled the west with a job and family. All that to say my interest in the "wild" west was sparked as an adult walking onto Old Tucson and hearing High Chapparal for the first time. From my first episode I was hooked and thought the characters and stories just pulled me in and am a huge fan of what I think is one of the best tv series of all time. Loved your breakdown of the show and characters. Spot on. Hope Old Tuscon reopens soon as I am in the area about 2x/year. Take care and have a great day.

      Delete